I am seriously working on developing a career change and moving into public speaking – specifically on IT and new media related topics. I picture myself as being the “funny guy” they use to close IT conferences. I’ve been thinking about this because
(a) I seem to have more first hand knowledge than most people I see presenting, and
(b) I’m a far better speaker than most people I see
And I want some of the money these people are making, dammit! I want to be flown around the world to talk and be treated like I’m an expert! Because I’m shallow that way. I already have some presentation ideas I’m working on:
- You’re stupid – what to do about it (for management conferences)
- Project management – why it’s bollocks
- IT staff – lazy, overpaid slackers or priceless diamonds you should cherish forever?
- Why the latest internet fad is pointless but you should follow it anyway
- And a presentation I’d love to give to the music and/or movie business: “You are evil, rapacious scum and your customers will eventually drag you into the street and burn you at the stake”
I’m looking forward to this new career.